Wednesday, November 26, 2008

An Update

She's home! Baby Kesa is two weeks old today, home, and doing great. My sister says she loves to eat and is a very good little girl. Her brothers (especially the 20 month old) love her and always check to make sure she's still there. My sister is healing- she's tired and sore, but she's healing. I love having such a great sister and niece to be thankful for at this time of year. I've posted some "edited" details of the scary birth story at the end, so if you don't want to know- stop reading after the second picture.Seriously- how cute is this little girl's grinner!
My sister, Jen, went into labor what they thought was 2-3 weeks early. She labors quick, so she's never used an epidural and didn't this time either. With her first push, the cord prolapsed (shot out before baby). At the same time, baby flipped into a transverse position (on her side) and pinched off the cord. The doctor held 8-10 inches of non-pulsating cord in his hands as he tried to push baby off the cord to relieve some pressure. Blood and oxygen were still flowing out of baby, but the pathway back was what was shut off. Baby was too stuck to move either way- she wasn't coming out and wasn't going back in- still no pulsations in cord. They flipped my sister onto her head and tried to vacuum baby out. After three unsuccessful attempts, doctor used his hands to open my sister up and go in after baby. (Yes, his hands- not surgical tools) Baby rushed to NIC-U and given lots of NIC-U attention for just over a week. Due to size and developmental stages, Baby determined to be closer to 5 weeks early. Sister received two units of blood and a little extra time in hospital. Now both are home and doing well. Thank heavens for happy endings!

10 comments:

Katie Lee said...

That is scary but I'm so glad that she is here and alive. And yes, she has the cutest grin!

Andrea said...

This same sort of thing happened to my sister a few years back. My poor sister thought she was going to die from the pain of the Dr.'s arms being half-way inside her. Youch! Sorry for the graphic-ness. They had to do an emergency c-section, whilst holding the cord at bay, and cut so quickly the baby had to have stitches on his head - he still has a long scar on his forehead 4 years later. Crazy stuff. But, like you, I'm so grateful for modern medicine and miracles!

Jill said...

Wow, Kara. I'm so glad she was okay! (Both your sis and this little angel.) Congrats on being an auntie again! She's beautiful.

Haley said...

I had no idea! And with NO epidural? I can't even fathom the pain she must have been in. I'm glad that they're both home and healthy.

Cailean said...

That has got to be the scariest labor story! I've always wondered what happens when the baby gets stuck. I am SO glad both your sister and niece are okay after that! What a cutie :)

Jessica B Photography said...

Wow! She's lucky she didn't end up with a c-section! A friend of my had a prolapsed cord over the summer. The nurse held the baby's head up off it while the doctor cut open the mom. The baby was out within something like 8 minutes of it happening. Scary, painful, but good that people can still make it through. Tell your sister we are all amazed and send our love!

clintandmicah said...

That is AMAZING! I'm so glad everything is better. What a miracle.

Jonathan & Rachel said...

OH Wow!! I just can't even imagine! What a blessing to have her hear and that all are healing! She is darling!

Alicia L. said...

Oh,wow what a story. So glad everything is okay. She is beautiful. Welcome to the world little one. Hope your sister is recovering as well.

Alicia L. said...

Hey Kara,
Could you send me your address?
Thanks,
Alicia