Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Things I Am Thankful For...

1- Cell Phones to keep me connected to my sister

2- Hospitals with trained doctors and medical technology

3- Said doctors who know how to act quickly and trust gut instincts

4- Tender mercies from our Heavenly Father

5- The lives of my sister and her first little girl!

My sister, whom I adore, just gave birth to her first little girl- Keasa Keara Jo. It was a very scary and unusual delivery. My sister said I could share her story, but I know at least a couple of our friends that are pregnant or just about to deliver, and the story is not something those people should be reading. Instead, I will focus on the good. Keasa is almost a week old and still in the NIC-U, but her brain activity is fine, she's breathing on her own, and they have now removed all IV lines. Now the doctors are just watching her temperature and jaundice levels. Her awesome black eye will heal, as will the bruises on her head.
Keasa has 5 big brothers who are very excited to welcome her and a daddy that is already so in love with her that it's adorable. My sister is a wonder to all who know her and even though she's in untold amounts of physical pain, she's at home and slowly returning to the duties of a mom of 6. I'm very sad to not be there helping, but thankful for unlimited cell phone minutes and e-mails to receive pictures.

8 comments:

Brittany said...

Kara, it's hard not knowing the story--I'm glad to hear everything turned out "okay." What a beautiful baby! Our prayers are with your family.

Amberly said...

That's just heart-breaking! You're probably right... no expecting mother should read about trauma like that. Even with my post-birth hormones I'd probably sit here and cry! She's a beautiful baby behind all those sad bruises.

Andrea said...

I want to know what happened! Looks scary, whatever it was. When will you be filling us in?

Jamie and Ryan said...

What an adorable little girl. I'm glad everthing is okay. I'll have to call and get the details.

Jessica B Photography said...

We all want to know the story!!! (It has a good ending at least!)

Priceless Heritage said...

Ka- I assume this sister is Jen? Happy to hear she has had a girl but sad to see the trauma. I hope she is doing better. On another note- Happy Birthday a few weeks ago!

Jonathan & Rachel said...

What a tender post! She is beautiful...I hope all heals soon!

Katie Lee said...

She is an adorable little girl... our thoughts and prayers are with them. I am also thankful for great doctors with amazing intuition and knowlege. That's why I have my precious little boy now.