Sunday, November 2, 2008

Happy? Halloween

Some enthusiasm please. Halloween was a great day- start to finish- for our family, but you'd never know it by the pictures I got. This is our friend Perrin, the three boys together are "The Guys". They had a great time trick or treating, but not so excited to be taking pictures before getting candy. I may have to post a Halloween II after I get the pictures from Perrin's mom- surely her pictures are happier than ours. Why do we carve pumpkins? No body wants to touch pumpkin guts, the little guys want to hold the sharp tools (not the pretend tools), someone ends up crying, someone ends up yelling, and the grown ups want to just toss the idea all together, but we persist and the end results are worth the effort. Of course I didn't get a picture of Hunter's pumpkin (the one that caused the most yelling and crying). It was really small, but Jordan managed to carve a bat in it. The boys loved them once they were done. So we'll continue to carve pumpkins at Halloween.A week before Halloween, our church hosted a little carnival. Hunter really wanted to participate in the pie eating contest. Does he know what a pie eating contest is? No, but he knows he likes pie and he now likes to eat, so a pie eating contest had to be a good thing. Never to be left out, Henry jumped up to the table at the last second. My two little guys went head to head against a bunch of 6-10 year olds. Somehow eating pie fast made no sense to either the boys, so after the contest was over, I moved them to another table to finish eating their pies. They may have lost the contest, but all they cared about was getting to eat an entire pie. And they left the table with much cleaner faces than the big kids.
Perhaps the best part of Halloween was getting to spend a hour at Daddy's work and riding the bus home with him in his super cool Shrek costume. (Note to self- Don't take on sewing projects when I don't know how to sew!) Jordan got mobbed by the Asian families in our neighborhood. He took a million pictures with kids he doesn't know- He finally understands what it would be like to work in Disney Land. Hunter was a UW Football Player. Henry was a Hunter.Or maybe all Henry needed was some serious sugar intake and his good friend Halle to make his Halloween Happy!

7 comments:

Anna said...

Such gloomy faces for such and exciting day. They are both still adorable though. Every picture you post, it still gets me, Henry is not a baby anymore, he is so grown up. Will he really be 3 this winter! Alex interviewed with the AZ recruiters for Walgreens and CVS this week. I might get my wish after all! Miss you guys!

Andrea said...

What did you sew? His costume looked good, so you must know more than you think! My husband ALWAYS waits until 20 minutes before work on Halloween before asking me, "What should I be for Halloween?" It's always a mad scramble to come up with something. For some reason I never learn to plan ahead (even though I swear I will every year). So this year he just wore a name tag with someone else's name on it. I guess it was a big hit, but he hangs out with insane people all day, so they may not be the best meter for clever.

Jessica B Photography said...

Love the Shrek costume! So cool!
Sorry to hear about the email. That really stinks.

Jonathan & Rachel said...

I think it's so funny that Henry was a "Hunter"!! We feel the same way about carving pumpkins and in fact we actually didn't even do it this year...our kids didn't even ask to do it at all. I think in the future we'll do a "family" pumpkin and call it good...until they can do it themselves-at least clean them out! Glad you had a fun Halloween!!

Auburn said...

Ok - I'm loving that first "happy" picture. They looks on all their faces . . . priceless.

Jill said...

First of all-the hijacked post scared the socks off of me! That is one of my biggest fears....

and your boys are so cute! I loved their costumes and loved how they were so depressed-until the sugar high kicked in...

And I laughed about the sewing thing too! You sound a bit like me....I don't sew at all, but can see myself trying something like that...just to see!

Chrystal said...

I think you described pumpkin carving perfectly! Jordan makes a great Shrek.
I was wondering about that random email. It didn't even seem like the guy could speak English well. It was wierd.
Are you all going back to Idaho when you are done?