Thursday, June 12, 2008

Washington D.C.

Just four days after returning home from our cruise, we (as a family) took off for Washington D.C. Sometimes I am thankful for Jordan's persistence, and this was one of those times. I really fought going for a few weeks- I didn't want to wrestle the boys in D.C. by myself for two days while Jordan attended dental conferences. It worked out to be a great little trip though, so I'm thankful Jordan wouldn't accept my refusals.

We were able to stay in the Hilton Washington- the hotel where President Regan was shot in 1980's. The rock tunnel behind the boys was built in the exact spot to give future VIPs an enclosed exit to prevent assasination attempts.

Hilton Washington

After a long day at the National Zoo, the boys were too tired to by excited by the White House.
They fell asleep just a block or two after leaving the hotel and slept through the subway rides and a good chunk of the Mall.
The massive amount of people kept the boys pretty entertained as I walked them around D.C., but we did make it to one museum- The National Museum of Flight. Even though the boys loved it, I kinda wish I would have taken them to The Museum of Natural History. I think they would have liked it more. Guess that gives us a reason to go back!
I don't think we missed a single monument. I'm so thankful for our ghetto stroller- it's so old and broken in more than one place, but it still gets the job done well enough. My boys don't care that it's rusty, or that it's a beast to open; they just like that they don't have to walk everywhere I walk. It's a good stroller.
We drove out to the Washington D.C. Temple one night and the boys loved running along the nature trails and in circles around the parking lot. The view of the Temple from the Beltway is beautiful, but the boys didn't appreciate it nearly as much.

Our visit to Mount Vernon was amazing. Hunter watched a movie! It was historical and we had to have a whole lesson about death afterwards, but he made it through a movie. (Hunter is afraid of every movie ever made- except Disney's Cars) Again, the boys loved running in circles through the dirt most of all. If Jordan could have a home on acreage like that of Mount Vernon, he'd be in heaven. Despite the looks of disgust on my boys' faces, it was really beautiful.
There's more to this trip, but my brain can't focus right now. My parents are here and we've been starting super early and coming in super late for the last few nights. Poor Hunter fell asleep in the cemetary last night and had to sleep in his clothes. I know that sounds odd- I'll explain in that in a future episode. Stay tuned for Philly!

3 comments:

The French Family said...

You were right about the summer fun just starting! I've always wanted to visit Washington D.C. and more so now that I saw your pictures. They're beautiful! Keep us posted with all your summer adventures!

Andrea said...

Looks and sounds so fun! I would never try it with my kids, but I'm glad yours behaved so well and let you enjoy it! We just had our Ricks "roommate" reunion in Rexburg last Friday, Kara, and we missed you! It was more fun than I will ever be able to convey in words to be there and re-experience all those old memory-filled places. Someday if you ever make it back to Idaho we'll have to do it again. No worries, I'm sure I'll post a blog shortly on the whole ordeal. :)

derrickandlisadye said...

Wow you guys are party animals. I wish I had that much energy to attempt to take my kids on vacation. It looks like you are having so much fun in New York. I too love new york city. It is amazing especially if you are from Idaho!! I love reading your blog and seeing those cute little boys.