Monday, October 8, 2007

A childhood dream fulfilled

When I was four, my first sister got married and moved away. She and her husband traveled all over the country for quite a few years and she would always call home with stories of the fabulous or not so fabulous places they were either living or had visited. At some point in time she told me of Vermont. The most beautiful place ever- I honestly don't remember any exact words, but something she said made me believe Vermont was my dream location. Last week Jordan took me and the boys for a long weekend to upstate NY and Vermont.
We first went to Thousand Islands, NY. Crazy the things people do with an island. Boldt Castle is a tragic love story. This man builds his wife a castle as a sign of his love. Three months before it's finished she dies and he orders all work to stop and forbids his children or grandchildren from ever visiting the castle again. At 80 percent complete, he walked away. I told Jordan if he ever aspired to build me a castle and I died, he best not waste all that money by abandoning it!

Boldt Castle

So the little bridge in this photo is actually the US/Canada border. I guess the man of the house can't just leave home when his wife's hormones go crazy, he uses the bridge and leaves the country! I'm sure Jordan would appriciate that option some days.

Just the house on this island, no landscaping requried. This island is just the deck. Odd.

I found this little place on a lake that was super cheap right in the heart of Vermont for our last night of the trip. One might ask, "Why would a place on a lake, right in the mist of prime tourist travel be so very cheap?" Well, the view was great, my boys loved throwing rocks in the water , and we got out alive. Enough said.

Throwing rocks in the lake at the cabin
View from our cabin

On our way home, we went through Sharon, VT- the birthplace of Joseph Smith. It was truly stunning. One of the more beautiful places we visited.

I saved our favorite pictures from the trip for the last. Inbetween Thousand Islands and Vermont, we traveled through the Adirondack State Park. Beautiful. We spent one hurried night at Lake Placid (home to two winter olympics), where the view from our posh hotel was awesome. Like being on top of the world.
Vermont Cows
Lake Placid



New England Fall

Fall in the north east is beautiful, we're very lucky to be able to experience this part of the country. So thank you Jordan for continuing to fulfill all my dreams. Now I'm off to dream of new dreams.

9 comments:

Jonathan & Rachel said...

Wow!! It really is beautiful! So glad you are enjoying your time out "east"! Your boys are so cute!! Very fun to see!

Laura said...

I got a link to your blog from Jon and Rach's website...how's it going guys?!!! It is so fun to see what you are up to! So what are you doing in Rochester? GPR or specialty? My husband will graduate in June and will be specializing in prosthodontics. Actually, he just got accepted into the program here at OSU, so we'll be staying in Columbus at least 3 more years. We're happy - we love it here! Anyway, if you get a chance, you can check out our website and blog at www.lauraandnate.com. Glad to "see" you guys! p.s. your kids are adorable!! - Laura Butler-Farley

Anna said...

Your pictures are just beautiful. I am glad that there are so many adventures for you to go on while you are in NY. Those will be trips and experiences you will never forget. Miss you!

s g said...

wow..I have heard that Vermont is so beautiful too..I am glad you guys got to go and visit..amazing pics..your boys are so darling!!

Troy said...

That's so romantic. =) I loved those pictures of the islands. Troy and I visited the San Juans a few weeks ago --one last hoorah before the social death of second year--and about every little island we saw Troy thought it'd be a great idea to build a castle on one. Who knows how you'd go about getting to buy the land, but wouldn't it be great to say you owned an island? With a castle and as small as some of those islands are (yet rocky, tree-filled bulges from the sound) you could truly be 'king of the hill.' (one childhood aspiration i think all of us had once. =))

Priceless Heritage said...

Those pictures are so beautiful! I just love Fall- wish our leaves changed here though. Happy to see your dreams are coming true :)

Katie Lee said...

I'm so jealous! What gorgeous photographs. I've always wanted to travel, so maybe someday my dream will be fullfilled! I miss you guys... when will you be in Idaho FAlls?

cat said...

wow! it does look like a dream. you look like you are making the most out of every day. beautiful pictures, and the boys are getting big!

Brittany said...

Kara, I love that you and Jordan go and DO things wherever you find yourselves. Wish I'd done more of that now that there is nothing to do . . . oops!

We were in Seattle this past weekend--just didn't feel the same without you two and the boys.

I'm now putting 1,000 Islands on my list of places I must see before I die.